Wednesday 20 January 2016

Be careful what you wish for - often said as a warning but dreams can come true!

"Be careful what you wish for" .......is often said or heard as a warning or portent...but actually wishing for something is a great thing because there are times those wishes really do come true. And something has just come true for me.

From this last Monday the 18th Jan - an exhibition of my work "Cutting the Curve - Crafting the Classical Body" at the Museum of Classical Archaeology started! 16 pieces based on the Classical Greek and Roman casts there. Torso's and heads and full bodies. They are all cut paper layered collage. Pieces made from drawing into the paper and layering papers from behind. This time though there is a lot more emphasis on using tone to bring out the form of the sculpture. They look simple, but were far from it as I had to really work them out. And I needed to hold my breath too. The curves and lines the sculptors carved out are very subtle and delicate. A couple of mm in the wrong direction really shows!!!

They aren't direct copies though. Each one is made from an individual drawing to start with and then translated into the cut paper. Each one individually worked out. I am no Classicist. I'm a country kid in essence and I admire hugely the knowledge the department of Classics has and people that know about these things. I think my lack of in depth knowledge though has helped as I can respond to them very instinctively and freshly.

Do visit the exhibition. Its only on for four weeks until Feb 25th. And write in the comments book.....I do read them!


No comments:

Post a Comment