Tuesday 5 August 2014

working in schools - the effect after I have gone.....


I love working in schools, especially with older pupils. I get to teach techniques of paper cutting along with a whole load of other things as well - ways of thinking, being creative with cut paper and how to generate ideas for a whole range of sources. Often teachers tell me that the students have really flown with their work after I have gone, and that's just a wonderful feeling.

The one day workshops aren't something that just happens and then stops - the influence of the day spreads on.

Sometimes too I get contacted by students I have worked with too. Ethan is a pupil at a school. I very much enjoyed working with him and the others on the one day course I ran at the school, anmd was so impressed with what he made on the day. he has gone onto develop some gorgeous pieces of work and he has very kindly given me permission to feature them on this blog. I feel very lucky to be able to show you.

Have a look at his pieces below -  I think they are fantastic! and have a read of Ethan's own words......

My name is Ethan, I'm 17, and I attend Stratton Upper School as a year 12 student. I study Art Graphics, Fashion Textiles, English Literature and Psychology. I intend to pursue a career in fashion design.

The Art Department at my school run a Creative Arts Weekend annually, and Vanessa came to do a papercutting workshop with us. I had never used the technique before, but it has greatly influenced me know my coursework and exam work for my Art Graphics AS. I have used paper cutting in my portrait work, as well as my exam piece.

I like the black line technique to create clear text and bold illustrative lines. I also like the application of coloured paper panels to the black frame, it really brings the black papercut to life. My exam piece is a series of papercut stained glass windows, each with a different framework and figure depiction. I have made one already for my AS exam.

©Ethan Kaiser


©Ethan Kaiser

©Ethan Kaiser

©Ethan Kaiser

©Ethan Kaiser

©Ethan Kaiser

No comments:

Post a Comment